Do You Provide Direct Case Management To A Loved One, Or Just Help The Parent/Family Managing That Life?

Due to the potential conflict of interest, we do not provide interventional psychiatric case management and financial oversight concurrently to a family member or beneficiary. If we are asked to do so, we will help locate a vendor for the service we opt out from; in most cases, we opt out of the care management but hire quality providers and ensure ongoing quality treatment and care by hiring and paying for care on behalf of a family or trust. If we provide the interventional case management, and after stabilizing that life, asked to provide financial case management services, we will secure another qualified case management provider to follow the client. In almost all cases, the family or a trust is our client and we are their qualified surrogates managing the life of a loved one or beneficiary.  Our primary outcomes achieved across all client work is quality of life for that loved one or beneficiary and long term fiscal health for the family or trust managing assets for the long run. All parents want to practice constructive separation from a disabled adult child to ready all parties (psychologically and otherwise) for a future when the parents are gone.

My Family Member Can’t Seem To Live On A Budget Or Manage Money. What Kind Of Change Can You Create That My Family Has Not Been Able To Do?

As both financial managers and disability counselors, we know how to remain outside the emotional history that affects financial issues within families; we find that de-constructing well worn family/money dynamics can help establish boundaries and structure. Our 25+ years of experience brings a different approach to the table which families find refreshing and helpful.

What If The Adult Child With Disability Or Beneficiary Is Not Capable Or Competent To Choose To Work With You, But They Need Your Help?

We regularly work on behalf of persons who have guardians or conservators. In some cases, a guardian or conservator may be warranted, but legal action has not been formally taken. Here we advise families to follow a "least restrictive" path (i.e. seek direct informed consent or request permission that a power of attorney be named) to legally and ethically guide a person to have their affairs managed, up to the point of pursuing a formal Court action.  For the adult child who has behavioral or psychological challenges to working with us, we utilize rehabilitation counseling ( one of our professional core competencies) to help that individual participate in ways that they can understand or accept. 

Why Have Families Chosen Your Services For Financial Case Management Of A Loved One?

In some cases, the realities of money, dependence, and disability can be contaminants to a parent/child relationship. In these instances, the adult child wants autonomy and the parent wants respite from being both parent and  "banker" for that adult child.  Also, families understand the necessary exercise readying him or her for a future when the parent(s) are gone. This process involves the adult child practicing cooperation and collaboration with a third party professional managing their funds.

What Is Life Care Planning?

Parents and caregivers will always need competent counsel to answer the only question that matters-- “Who will ensure my loved one will be taken care of when I’m gone?”  We help parents and families take a long view of housing , financial, insurance, and medical needs planning to provide piece of mind for a future when the next generation and community resources will ensure the quality of life of a loved one.

We are experts in understanding the arc of costing out housing, healthcare, and custodial care, as well as implementing public benefits and services. We have managed the lives of persons with unique financial needs associated with disability and mental illness through the life cycle - young adults, persons in midlife, and seniors.

Where DO You provide this service?

We are based in the DC metropolitan area but serve families nationwide. In 2018, we provided ongoing financial case management services in DC, MD, VA, but also performed interventional or financial consulting services for families and fiduciaries in CA, FL, NY, WA, MA and DE, as well as families living abroad whose dependent family members live in the US. 


Contact Tom directly to explore how financial case management your current or long term needs.